Levels of crime including violent crime are high, particularly in major cities. You should be particularly vigilant before and during the festive and Carnival periods. Bank card fraud is common. See Crime

There are very high levels of violent crime in shanty towns (favelas), which exist in all major Brazilian cities. In Rio de Janeiro, any visit to any favela can be dangerous, even as part of an organised tour. See Favelas

Despite the high crime levels, most visits are trouble free. 202,671 British nationals visited Brazil in 2016.

There has been an increase in reported cases of yellow fever, particularly in the states of Sao Paulo and Minas Gerais. You should take steps to avoid mosquito bites and check the requirement for vaccination. See Health

UK health authorities have classified Brazil as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. Cases of dengue fever have also been reported, especially in the south-east and central-west of Brazil and cases of Chikungunya virus have been confirmed. You should take steps to avoid mosquito bites. For more information and advice, visit the website of the National Travel Health Network and Centre. See Health

Protests take place regularly across Brazil and often without warning. Roads and public transport are frequently severely disrupted. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place, monitor local media and follow the advice from the local authorities.

Brazil’s land border with Venezuela may be closed at short notice. You should monitor local media for updates and advice.

Terrorist attacks in Brazil can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

If you’re a single parent or guardian travelling with a child, you may need additional documentation. See Entry requirements

Drug trafficking is widespread in Brazil, and incurs severe penalties. See Local Laws and Customs

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. The Money Advice Service can help you to consider the type of insurance you need. It is a free and independent service set up by government.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Source Article from